Newly Created; HR Manager, Asia (Law Firm)
- Newly Created; HR Manager, Asia
- HR Lead for Asia with regional direct reports
- Leading International Law Firm
- Salary: Competitive
Our client is an International UK headquarter Law firm with 5 regional offices and a headcount of around c300. They have engaged our services for a newly created role as a reflection of growth and a need to align the regions. This is an exciting opportunity to make your mark and put your stamp on the regional HR strategy, approach and ways of working and lead a team of regional HR Office and HR Managers and upskill and develop the team.
The population is largely made up of lawyers and corporate support professionals. This is a brand new role, reflecting their growth in Asia and their growing need for professional and tailored support for their practices in the region. Based in Singapore (or Hong Kong) this role will be responsible for the implementation of the firm's HR strategy in Asia. If based in Singapore, there will be monthly travel to Hong Kong.
Reporting Line: As a key member of the firm's HR team, you will report to the Head of Human Resources (based in London) for operational input, management and guidance and will at times work directly with the firm's HR Director. You will also report to the Office Managing Partners and the COO for Asia who is responsible for all support services in the region and is a member of the firm's Executive Management team. On an operational level, the role will report to the COO Asia.
HR Leadership Responsibility: The firm has a number of HR Managers/Office Managers in place in the larger regional offices who will look to you to advise them on local market variations and office issues to ensure that they are able to tailor their service to meet the needs of offices in the region whilst creating an overall approach for provision of high quality HR operations in Asia
Strategic Oversight; You will play a lead role in the development and implementation of commercial HR solutions (in line with the firm's parameters and the regional market) to support the firm and regional strategies and in the technical oversight of HR operations. This will include establishing strong operational excellence, being a change leader when necessary, supporting talent management processes, operational efficiency and HR expertise.
More broadly, the HR and L&D department is responsible for the effective management of all matters concerning the employment and development of people within the region. This involves carrying out appropriate initiatives, providing guidance and support to partners, managers and all employees alike, as well as supporting the creation of an environment which enables people to make the best use of their capabilities and realise their potential to the benefit of the firm and themselves. This includes a wide range of activities including:
- Strategy setting in line with business objectives
- Recruitment of all partners and employees, including graduate 'trainee' recruitment
- Talent and career management
- Reward strategy and salary review
- Supporting the appraisal/performance management process
- Training, learning and development, including practising certificates and Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Employment and HR administration, including payroll and benefits
- Policy and procedures setting and the practical application of these across the business.
To be considered for this role you will already be an established HR professional as either a regional Manager or regional Business Partner. Experience in forging strong relationship at all levels and working in a professional services/financial services firm is desirable (or working in a commercial law firm would be an advantage). The ideal candidate would also have experience of working with, and optimising the use of, a global integrated HR software.
Other criteria includes:
- Fluent in English
- Working knowledge of the PRC market (China exposure is desirable, but regional experience is essential)
- Business understanding and approach; keeps current in HR methods and sector trends, knowledge of professional services in the Asian market and established network
- Able to work, build credibility and have impact and presence with all levels of staff e.g. from partners and associates to all other staff, within a professional, partnership environment
- Confident and clear communication (verbal and written) with people at all levels of the business hierarchy
- A skilled communicator who will create strong relationships with, and influence, partners, fee-earners and their assistants; and who is articulate on paper, with high standards of written English
Benefits: Bonus and standard benefits
Location: Singapore or, Hong Kong
Thanks for your time. Please reach out to Fay if you would like to discuss this role, or are open to other HR opportunities and want to discuss the market;
FAY PHILLIPS-JONES, CIPD