Hong Kong’s jobless subsidy scheme sees surge in applications
Within three days of launch, Hong Kong’s jobless subsidy scheme has received almost 180,000 applications, with Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor promising that there will be no upper limit on the overall funds distributed.
“We will continue to approve applications even if the number exceeds our original expectation of 300,000,” said Lam, reports South China Morning Post.
To receive the funds, applications must provide proof of employment in Hong Kong for at least one month between October 1 and December 31 last year and a previous total monthly income of between HK$2,700 (US$345) and HK$30,000 (US$3832).
The government had initially set aside HK$3 billion (US$383 million) for residents who became jobless due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak. Applications for the subsidy opened last Wednesday and will last until April 12.
“We have expected a high number of applications, but we did not expect so many people to apply on the first day,” Doris Ho Pui-ling, head of the government’s Policy Innovation and Coordination Office, told a radio programme.