Indonesia to focus on jobs creation: President Joko Widodo

The government's current priority is to create as many new and quality jobs as possible to build a sustainable economy.
By: | August 19, 2021
Topics: Indonesia | News | Recruitment

“The pandemic has obstructed the pace of our economic growth. However, it must not hinder the process of structural reform of our economy,” President Joko Widodo said during his state address at the annual session of the People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR) and joint session of the House of Representatives (DPR) and the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) at the Parliamentary Complex recently. 

The President said that the government will continue to accelerate the implementation of the Job Creation Law. 

“We launched the Online Single Submission system last week. It aims to facilitate all types of businesses, especially the low-risk ones,” he said. The system is aimed at making business licensing as well as incentive and tax administration easier, faster, and more transparent. “Micro, small, and medium enterprises actors have to use this great opportunity to develop their businesses,” he added. 

READ: Indonesia preps more women for work in industrial sector

The president said that in the first half of this year, the country’s investment realisation reached Rp442.8 trillion (US$30.7 billion), excluding the upstream oil and gas sector as well as financial services. 

The investment created more than 620,000 jobs for Indonesian workers. About 48.5% of the total amount was invested in Java, while the remaining 51.5% outside Java, he said, according to Antara News.