Employees told to continue telecommuting “to the maximum extent”
Singapore will exit the circuit breaker on June 1, with businesses urged to continue implementing telecommuting to the “maximum extent” even as operations resume in phases.
In a joint press conference on May 19, the Ministry of Health (MOH) and Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) said that the decision to exit the circuit breaker is due to the low number of cases in the community, and the stabilised situation at the dormitories.
They announced that only businesses with economic activities that do not pose a high risk of transmission will resume in the first phase, as the risk of a resurgence in community transmission remains high.
Besides the essential businesses that are already operating, businesses that operate in settings with lower transmission risks such as manufacturing firms will be allowed to open.
But the authorities urged workers to continue working from home unless “demonstrably necessary”, such as where there is a need to return to the office to access specialised systems and equipment that cannot be accessed from home, or to fulfil legal requirements.
“Those who have been working from home so far should continue to do so, and employees should go to the office only where demonstrably necessary,” they said.