WFH most prevalent flexible work arrangement in Singapore

Employees working for larger firms are more likely to be provided with the opportunity to work remotely, compared to those who work in smaller ones.
By: | August 1, 2023

Working from home has emerged as the most common form of flexible work arrangement in Singapore, especially for employees with children.

Staggered working hours enabling employees to customise their start and end times ranked as the second most prevalent flexibility option, according to a survey of 2,700 respondents conducted by Singapore’s People’s Action Party (PAP) Women’s Wing and the National Trades Union Congress’ Women and Family Unit.

The survey, which also unveiled a link between organisation size and work-from-home opportunities, found that employees in larger organisations with over 100 employees had a 60% chance of working from home, while only 40% in organisations with 25 or fewer employees could do so.

Among the benefits of remote work cited by respondents was the improved ability to manage work and caregiving responsibilities. However, the survey also revealed that three in 10 participants felt more efficient when working in the office.

READ MORE: How employees in Singapore are spearheading workplace efficiency

Speaking at a PAP Women’s Wing Conference, Indranee Rajah, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office, emphasised that well-designed flexible work arrangements need not compromise productivity. To encourage more active father involvement in childcare, the government plans to double paternity leave from two to four weeks starting in 2024.

Edy Tan, CEO of environmental services organisation Chye Thiam Maintenance (CTM), shared the organisation’s success in implementing flexible work arrangements, which has led to a 90% retention rate for blue-collar employees and cost control in training new employees. CTM allows most full-time cleaning employees to choose their 44-hour workweek, catering to caregiving responsibilities and aiding women in rejoining the workforce, reported The Straits Times