Marie Kondo shares work-from-home productivity tips
It’s one thing to be working from home. It’s another to be productive working from home. And that’s the challenge and struggle that millions of employees around the world are facing as they adapt to being thrust into remote working by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Let’s face it. Our homes are never meant or set up for work. But overnight, our homes have become our offices. While working from home has many advantages such as not having to commute to work and being in the comfortable environment of your home, it can be a downfall of your productiveness.
One of the most important factors of being productive is having a conducive place to work. And who better to provide tips on creating one at home than Marie Kondo, whose organisational and tidying methods have shot her to global fame?
Kondo’s new book Joy at Work: Organising Your Professional Life – which was written alongside Organisational Psychologist Scott Sonenshein – delved into the concept of ‘sparking joy in your career’ by maintaining a tidy office environment, perfecting time management and taking control.
In an interview with Good Housekeeping, Kondo explained that, no matter where employees are working from, it is crucial to create an environment that helps with concentration and this will help to foster productivity.
“If you don’t have a home office, identify the items that are crucial to getting your work done and designate a clear spot for them – a box or portable carrier will do,” she said.
“When it’s time to work, move all unrelated items off of your workspace and add one thing that sparks joy when you look at it – I always keep a crystal or small vase of fresh flowers on my desk.”
Kondo also referenced her famed concept of ‘sparking joy at work’ and that being tidier and better organised with professional tasks can help employees to be more productive at home.
In addition to these tips, Kondo shared on Mind Body Green how you can make your workstation at home a more productive and happier place to work.
- Decide on a colour scheme for coordinating items on your desk.
- Decorate your workplace with a favourite movie or story as your theme.
- Use inspirational photos to decorate your desk area.
- Put a small potted plant on your desk.
- Have photos on display that spark happy memories.
- Display something glitzy like a crystal or paperweight on your desk.
- Have a small diffuser on your desk that lets off a fragrant smell.
- Decorate your desk with a candle.
- Choose your favourite coaster and have this on your desk.
- Lastly, change the background on your computer to ensure that it reflects each season.